Do you want to be part of a truly revolutionary effort to understand and apply plant microbiomes to improve agriculture and help feed the world? AgBiome, a biotech startup located in Research Triangle Park, North Carolina, is looking for scientific leaders to help us carry out discovery of biologicals and traits on a scale never before attempted. We are growing scientific, business, and cultural systems to reach our aim of being the most successful agricultural innovator ever. AgBiome’s organization is based on shared commitment and coupling responsibility to expertise, creating a flexible, collaborative environment for a uniquely productive and enjoyable work experience. Our culture looks and feels casual but is built on scientific rigor and well-elaborated processes.
We are always looking for people who will not only thrive but will help the company excel. We encourage and reward flexibility and enthusiasm for learning new roles. We interview only highly qualified candidates who pass multiple reference checks. If you are interested in a career with us, please apply online using the links below.
We are looking for an exceptional scientist to join our team in the Microbiology Group at AgBiome. If you are curious, self-motivated, and ready to make a real impact in the agricultural biotech industry, you may be the applicant we want. This is primarily a bench-level laboratory position, with some additional time spent on data management and analysis.
A willingness to embrace our cultural values will be critical for success in this role. We have a unique self-organizing culture, and we are looking for candidates that recognize the importance of the following skills.
- Service: An understanding of what service leadership is and have a track record of helping those around you succeed.
- Initiative: You have a consistent track record of success in identifying, developing, and executing new ideas. You are internally motivated for success, and understand the pitfalls of inaction in an entrepreneurial environment.
- Versatility: You are an active team member who can embrace change and remain flexible to reach the company goals.
- Influence: You can thrive in complex environments, and have all the interpersonal and emotional intelligence skills to be successful in these environments.
We embrace these skills explicitly and work together to improve ourselves. We do not have a traditional hierarchical reporting structure, and therefore it is extremely important that each individual actively contributes to making AgBiome a successful company and a tremendously cool place to work.
Skills and Qualifications:
The Microbiology team at AgBiome isolates and cultures diverse microorganisms from environmental samples, including soil and plant tissue, and uses these to feed our biological and trait product pipelines. This job requires:
- Meticulous sterile technique
- Microbial culturing (experience with diverse microbes is preferred)
- Quality Control experience and curating microbial collections
- Experience with high throughput screening, assay optimization, media optimization, and regulatory experience preferred.
- Attention to detail, a willingness to learn new skills, and a flexible, entrepreneurial attitude.
As part of a small and fast-moving team, you must have excellent communication skills and be a creative, independent thinker. Relevant industry experience is beneficial.
B.S., M.S. or Ph.D. in biological sciences with a minimum of 3+ years of experience
AgBiome is a revolutionary research and discovery company in Research Triangle Park, NC, committed to decreasing risk and improving yield in agriculture in order to feed our growing world population. Enthusiastic applicants should please submit a cover letter and CV detailing why they would be a good fit for the position, and how they could contribute to the AgBiome team. Applications without a cover letter, will not be considered.
AgBiome Innovations, Inc. is the commercial arm for AgBiome, which is a revolutionary agricultural R&D company committed to decreasing risk and improving yield to feed the world’s population. Our portfolio is based on biological active ingredients to enhance plant production. And our unique non-hierarchical and self-managed working environment emphasizes trust, teamwork, and a focus on common goals.
Purpose & Accountabilities:
- Responsible for gaining business in end-user accounts, leveraging the entire product portfolio with a focus on crop protection. This role includes an array of technical selling services, as well as growing the business in the assigned regional geography. This role encompasses and requires sales skills, technical competency with agricultural crops, strong closing skills, and flexible, solution-based sales behavior. Responsibilities include working closely with distributor partners, uncovering key needs, and creating industry relationships.
- Work with a high-functioning, collegial, engaged technical sales team that drive market acceptance of AgBiome’s biological products both as stand-alone and mixtures with synthetic actives or other biological control agents.
- Position is field based; this person is responsible for joint customer calls, facilitating (or assisting with) solution-design, attending trade shows and other events, the conduct of partner reviews and customer recruitment and onboarding. An average of “TBD” (multi-day) distributor/dealer/grower visits per week is a standard goal.
- Works in close collaboration with marketing and inside sales personnel, closing sales opportunities and assessing ongoing market trends. Also collaborates with AgBiome scientific community on potential future products and relationships.
- Will be responsible for the implementation of strategy, goals/objectives and plans on a regional basis to acquire new long-term, profitable business.
- Penetration, retention and development of markets and customers.
- Execution of strategies and plans for target growth markets in the region.
- Develop business relationship with field level distributor accounts in region.
- Provide competitor feedback (financial or product related) to access competitive conversion opportunities.
Knowledge & Skills Summary:
- Minimum of BS degree with 10+ years of commercial agricultural industry experience in sales, marketing, or business development
- An intense focus on both productivity and quality
- Skilled in strategic thinking, problem identification, solution development and execution
- Verbal and business writing skills are critical
- Demonstrated negotiating & closing skills
- Ability to successfully collaborate, influence and work effectively in self-directed work environment
- PC skilled in MS Word, Excel, Outlook
- Valid driver’s license and proven safe driving record
- Ability and willingness to travel extensively
AgBiome is a revolutionary research and discovery company in Research Triangle Park, NC, committed to decreasing risk and improving yield in agriculture in order to feed our growing world population. Enthusiastic applicants should please submit a cover letter and CV detailing why they would be a good fit for the position, and how they could contribute to the AgBiome team. Applications without a cover letter will not be considered.
The formulation development scientist will work with a team to develop and optimize formulations and formulation manufacturing processes for novel biological pest and disease control products. These products are based on microbes that are identified as having biopesticidal activity by screening our large microbe collection. The formulation scientist will develop processes and materials that will stabilize these microbes so they have commercially-appropriate shelf life and application characteristics, including blending or co-packing with existing chemical or biological products. He or she will develop processes for economical production of these stabilized formulations at lab and pilot plant scale, and will assist with scale-up and production as needed for registration and field trials. Statistical design of experiments, data collection and analysis, and coordination of teams of scientists in-house and with off-site collaborators and toll manufacturers will be required.
An advanced degree in chemistry, chemical engineering or the equivalent is required. Work experience should include 5+ years at the PhD level, or 7+ years at the M.S. level, in an industrial research environment, including exposure to manufacturing processes and economics. Experience with interdisciplinary teams and with presenting complex data to diverse audiences is critical. An intense focus on both productivity and research quality is essential.
We have a unique self-organizing culture, and we are looking for leaders with well-developed skills in the areas of service, initiative, and influence.
- Service: You understand how ‘leadership as service’ models work in the real world, and have a track record of helping those around you succeed. You understand goals and can help those around you align with company priorities. You can help colleagues and teammates connect our long-term vision to our 3-year, 1-year, and immediate objectives.
- Initiative: You have a consistent track record of success in identifying, developing, and executing new business or scientific ideas. You are internally motivated for success, and understand the pitfalls of inaction in an entrepreneurial environment. You have a well-developed and mature sense of risk versus reward in business and/or science.
- Influence: You can thrive in complex environments, and have all the interpersonal and emotional intelligence skills to be a top performer in most situations. You understand the difference between disagreement and conflict, and you can help others find effective resolutions.
We believe that these are critical qualities even in traditional hierarchical organizations. Unlike most such organizations, at AgBiome you cannot hide in the inky shadows of the org chart and expect to be effective based on an arbitrary reporting structure (which we don’t have). We embrace these skills explicitly and work together to improve ourselves.
Flexibility and willingness to take on a variety of roles in a small company, a good sense of humor, and a wild enthusiasm for providing cool new products to agriculture are also really necessary.
AgBiome is a revolutionary early stage research and discovery company in Research Triangle Park, NC, committed to decreasing risk and improving yield in agriculture in order to feed our growing world population. Apply via our website at www.agbiome.com, or email your CV and cover letter to email@example.com. Applications without a cover letter will not be considered.